Canada Trip Part Two

30th July
I was up to do another three day stint at Glacier Air.
First flight was with Simon in a Cessna 172 to do circuits. This was a pre-solo assessment flight and so time was spent on the ground with Emergency Procedures, and some on Aircraft Technical too.
We did nine circuits, and the student was ready for solo, but without the requisite six unspoken landings.

31st July
The morning began in a Cessna 172 with a shuttle across the mountains to Chilliwack to pick up the Super Decathlon from maintenance.

Marie le Bihan has the pleasure of flying the Super Decathlon back to Squamish

Of course the Super Decathlon requires a proper check that all systems are normal and so this required inverted flying in the Glen Valley area, and a further check while flying past the Chief later.

Fires are common it seems... This one east of SFU as we passed in the Super Decathlon

Back at Squamish Warrick wanted to know more about the Chipmunk and so we flew in his Cessna 172B to Langley where we went for a flight in CF CXI... He loved it of course and is looking for one to buy.
Warrick is a good candidate for a Chipmunk, he understands mechanics, and is into racing cars... 'Has a Ford MK1 Escort rally car, (RH drive), and so he qualifies in the enthusiast department as well!

Back at Squamish, one more flight to be done in the Citabria, but the Right Magneto failed... The Left had recently been overhauled and now the Right fails. 'Confirms the idea of doing both at the same time.
All my bookings cancelled the next day, But:

1st August
We could fly the Super Decathlon, but it was up on the lift, and adjustments made to its positioning were not condusive to getting the aeroplane off the lift!
So I drove back to Vancouver where there was a huge jam getting on the Lions Gate Bridge, the only way in from the north... I thought I'd go to Sala Thai for lunch, but the city was packed and parking would be a big problem... 'Better to take public transport into the city I think.

2nd August
Soft Field landings using a little power and a lot of patience for Marilyne in the Diamond today, and off she went for her second solo flight to practice.

Night flying again with James to complete the instrument training requirement.
A more intensive session this time with unusual attitude recoveries, and limited (partial) panel flying together with unusual attitudes likewise... I was the tormentor!

Heading for the sea off Point Roberts

3rd August
Circuits with Marilyne in the Diamond.

4th August
Airwork in the Pitt Lake practice area with Emidio in the Piper Warrior.
The problem on this flight was the tendency to apply aileron when a wing drops in the stall. It is a common problem with pilots trained in the Cessna 172, and while it's something you get away with in such aircraft it is a dangerous habit in some types of aircraft.
Then there's the over use of rudder to compensate for a wing drop... Pilots recover in a slip, and a slip is a height loss manoeuvre.
One evening in a Mooney M20F over the Pitt Lake I did a stall with one stage of flap, right wing drop, but an easy recovery. Then the new owner's turn, right wing drop, left aileron, instant spin! Lost a thousand feet in one turn, but spin recovery was normal.
We worked on getting rid of the aileron habit.

Getting to grips with the Piper Warrior 1

5th August
Fresh annual check done, and trim repaired, the Bellanca was ready to go.
So up to the Pitt Lake area Marcia and I flew, up high to learn about power settings and constant speed propellers, turns, and stalls, setting the mixture.

Flap limit = 86 MPH, no wonder with thin cables to hold them down.

Flew with Stephen in his Piper Warrior 1 to do airwork and review forced landings. Four landings at Pitt Meadows and lunch there.

Nine circuits with Daryl in the Piper Tomahawk.

6th August
Airborne at 08:22 in the Bellanca to do turns over the Stave dams, then cruised to Chilliwack with a smooth arrival procedure for a low and over there. We went to Abbotsford and did two circuits before the airport was closed for airshow practice as NOTAM'd.
Did another scheduled speed reduction and descent into Boundary Bay.

Flew with Gloria to do turns and stalls in the Pitt Lake area in the Tomahawk.

Short flight in the Warrior with Emidio to do a Practice Forced Landing.

7th August
Out of Boundary Bay to do seven circuits at Abbotsford with Marcia in the Bellanca.
More airwork with Gloria in the Tomahawk over Pitt Lake.
More airwork with Emidio in the Warrior, Pitt Lake.

8th August
Short afternoon flight in the Chipmunk with James.

Flying the Airvan. Photo by David Lai

9th August
Flew to Pitt Meadows with Gloria in the Tomahawk to do circuits.
Collected the GA8 Airvan from Pro Maintenance and gave it a flight test before putting it back in the hangar.

The intent was to fly the Volmer Sportsman for the first time since its aileron hinge repair but the radio refused to work well enough. We taxied out, got to the holding point, and then taxied back.

10th August
Flew to Chilliwack with Gloria in the Tomahawk and did five landings before returning to Boundary Bay.

Enroute to Chilliwack

The flying saucer is a landmark put there for the purpose of avoiding the Pitt Meadows zone

We let the Cessna go first into Boundary Bay

With a poor radio we were able to go flying in the Volmer for the first time, but there was stick force required to hold the nose up all the way. Stall was at 43 MPH IAS.
Once again someone needed convincing of the effect of sealing the gap between the tailplane and elevator, and between the fin and rudder. This improves aerodynamic efficiency.
After sealing the gap with tape we flew another circuit and the change was dramatic with a large improvement in elevator control.

11th August
Radio noise was dramatically reduced when proper shielded magneto 'P' Leads were fitted. At last we have a radio we can use.

The original intent was to go to Pitt Meadows and introduced the aeroplane to the water by way of the ramp, but circumstances changed this plan.
So there we were on final for the Fraser River by Fort Langley, this alighting was smooth, and afterwards we taxied around on the water to get used to this aeroplane.
There followed two more splash and goes before we flew to Pitt Meadows to land on the runway there.

On the water by Fort Langley

A reason to be a Fort Langley is the chance of help if you need it, but I looked down and saw that Fort Langley Air was unoccupied... Later I learned that 'CDQ, the company's Cessna 180 had been involved in a fatal crash. Very sad, my condolences to all concerned.

Not easy to see the tailwheel in the mirror so take a picture and zoom in

Grumble Geese on the ramp at Pitt Meadows

After lunch and a refuel the Volmer waddled down the ramp into the water to the annoyance of the Canada Geese and we did nine circuits both ways East and West on the river. Alighting and slowing to displacement before accelerating to takeoff again. Back to land at Boundary Bay at 15:10 to check the aeroplane over.

After start at 18:17 the oil pressure showed a fluctuation... The oil level was low and so two quarts were added. This shows the importance of checking the oil between flights.
There was not much oil on the outside and so the engine must be burning it!
Airborne at 18:52 we flew up to Pitt Lake to explore alighting places, and do a couple of alightings in different qualities of water surface. For practice we did alightings in two places on the Pitt river on the way back

Heading back to Boundary Bay in the evening

12th August
Flew the Chipmunk with Ted to Delta Heritage Air Park.

You can do a Seaplane Rating in two days, but this is not really enough in my opinion, and so Ryan will take some experienced flying boat pilots with him in the future.
Bill keeps his Volmer at Langley and there are three experienced Volmer pilots there and so I hope that Ryan's experience can be gained with these guys as well.
As far as the training exercises are concerned, all of these were covered in the training I gave in accordance with the Transport Canada Instructor Guide tp12668e.
One needs to be cautious in how seaplane flying is approached.

On Sunday afternoon we flew to Pitt Lake and climbed to 2,000 feet. The first objective was to experience engine failures... So from 2,000 I lowered the nose to maintain 75 mph, this is steep in a draggy aeroplane... Normal approach is 65 mph with 1500 RPM, the extra speed is to enable you to flare and fly 'flat' above the water to let the aeroplane gently settle onto the water.
I raised the nose to simulate the flare... With height to spare Ryan did the same, lowering the nose to 75 mph and flaring to level.
Then with the remaining height I once again lowered the nose to gain 75 mph, flared, and the aeroplane gently touched down on the water.

We climbed to 500 feet and Ryan did a successful forced alighting.

Then we went off to do glassy water alightings. Two up 1800 to 2000 RPM produced a smooth level touchdown on the water.
A total of eleven splashes were made with asimulated engine failure, and some genuine glassy water touchdowns in various parts of the Pitt Lake.
An on step planing exercise was crried out with the aeroplane motorboating around. All good fun.

We taxied to a stoney beach and stopped with the wheels down.
The rocky bottom was not condusive to taxying onto the beach and so we exited in the shallow water.

In Canada the Seaplane Rating candidate is required to go solo, and so I was abandoned on the beach.
This is a precarious for the instructor who could become stranded... There were a couple of families with boats picnicking and I was offered a ride back if I needed it.
As it was Ryan completed nine alightings in the aeroplane and taxied back. Total time 0.8 solo.

The two of us took off at 18:06, but I noticed the oil pressure fluctuate again and so chopped the power and alighted straight ahead.

Ryan adds a quart in the middle of Pitt Lake

Last day, 13th August
Telus is selling one of their Quest Kodiaks and I was asked to look at it.
I was there at 08:00 and went through the structure and logs... Looks very good to me.

At 10:52 I was airborne with Gavin in the Bellanca Cruisemaster with the intent to do some performance assessments... But as we climbed higher and higher the smoke from forest fires made the visibility worse and worse.
Passing Mission we made a call to Abbotsford; my concern being about whether a WestJet 737 was likely to be inbound at that time. They cross through 'uncontrolled' Controlled Class E airpace in the area which we would be entering. It's Class E Mode C airspace.
There was no topping the smoke, and so we gave up, descended and returned to Boundary Bay.

The smoke put some flying schools off and so I was able to do circuits at Boundary Bay in the Tomahawk with Gloria.
Then fourteen circuits were flown with Emidio in the Warrior, engine stop at 17:42.
I had not packed for my evening departure and I was scheduled to go to the Flying Beaver Pub at 19:30...

It was a good time with people in the Flying Beaver, but I still had to pack and so I had to leave at 21:30 to go and do this.
Cathay Pacific CX865 was scheduled to depart at 02:20 the next morning.

Arrival at Hong Kong Airport was at 06:15 on Wednesday. Tuesday was a very short day!

I took the A11 bus to North Point, HK$40

The adult fare on the trams is HK$2.60

I went for a walkabout in parts of Hong Kong with a couple of tram rides in between, and then took the underground to Tung Chung and the S1 bus to the airport.
Cathay Dragon KA232 was scheduled to leave at 15:20.

It's the rainy season here in Chiang Mai

Back to MP Aviation